Jewellers prefer sterling or 925 silver because it is both ageless and fashionable. It's also inexpensive, long-lasting, and doesn't tarnish readily. But what exactly does 925 mean on jewellery? We'll address any of your queries in the article below.
What Does 925 on Jewellery Mean?
The 925 stamp is a guarantee of the metal's authenticity and quality. It is relatively common and may be found on both silver and gold jewellery but with distinct meanings.
When you see this symbol on silver jewellery, it means it's sterling silver and relates to the standard quality grade. This signifies that your jewellery is 92.5 percent pure silver and 7.5 percent alloy, most often copper.
Is There a Difference Between 925 Silver and Sterling Silver?
Technically, 925 is the standard term for sterling silver. Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals. American jewellers started using 925 instead of sterling silver to prevent confusion between the two. In the US, sterling silver has a purity of .925 and an alloy of 92.5% silver, with the remaining 7.5% being other metals.
925 is the international standard for sterling silver, so it's become the term most commonly used now. 925 is also the term used to describe the purity of silver jewellery. Just like the purity of gold, the higher the number of karats, the better quality. That's why 925 silver is seen as higher quality than silver pieces with lower purity.
Is .925 Silver Long-Lasting?
Silver, as previously said, is naturally soft in its purest form. Its hardness and durability are increased when it is transformed into an alloy. This alloy retains the brilliance of silver jewellery while maintaining durability, allowing you to wear it daily without fear of harm. The disadvantage is that it tarnishes; therefore, if you wear silver jewellery on a daily basis, it should be cleaned at least once a month.
Things to Consider When Buying 925 Jewellery
Nickel silver, German silver, and alpaca jewellery are not 925 silver. Wearing jewellery made of these inexpensive metals may cause allergic responses or skin sensitivities, especially if they are earrings. Nickel, for example, can cause irritating and itchy contact dermatitis. Sterling silver will not irritate you. Sterling silver is hypoallergenic, durable, and tarnish resistant.
How to Clean 925 Silver
Remember to rinse off your silver jewellery with clean water and dry it thoroughly with a soft cloth before storing it. You can also use a silver cleaner to wipe down your silver without having to take it off to give it a quick cleaning. Wipe your jewellery with a clean cloth, thoroughly rinsing it with clean water. Try using a silver polishing cloth if you have one.
925 silver jewellery is an affordable way to deck yourself out in style. It's durable, tarnish-resistant, and hypoallergenic, making it a popular choice for those with sensitive skin. The material is so popular that it has become commonplace on all types of jewellery, from traditional necklaces and earrings to a bold and bright statement ring.
Rawninety fuses a collective global identity with an intrinsic love of music, art and expression. Each individual collection is influenced more by ideas and urban culture than trends and popular motives. Crafted from recycled 925 sterling silver, every single material is ethically sourced - ensuring that each piece we create is of the highest quality, timeless and made to last. Feel free to browse through our collection of men's silver accessories in Australia today!